Meta Monday: Slammed
August 11, 2008
Blogging is like slam poetry. A while ago I was talking about my blog and said that the format was good because if you are entertaining enough you can get your message in as well, and people will want to read what you have to say. And that’s kind of the theory of slam poetry as well. What is that some of you less hep cats may be asking? Here’s the run down.
- Slam poetry is a competition. Like blogs you have to stand out in a crowd.
- The judges are just everyday people selected from the crowd not poetry experts. Like blogs you have to have broad appeal.
- Slam poetry is performed and “of the moment.” Like a blog outdated references are a real turn off.
- There are no rules. It’s not about being scholarly it’s about being entertaining. Like blogs you can win there hearts and then you can talk about what’s on your mind.
- Slam poetry was trendy about five years ago, not so much anymore. Blogs are trendy now. What’s next?